Department of Radiochemistry was established in 1965 by Professor Kazumi Toyoshi, who was succeeded by Professor Yukio Mori, and professor Shin-ichi Kondo who is currently serving as a principal professor in Department of Pharmaceutical and Physical Chemistry at GPU. Our research is focused on safety and efficiency of beverages, food, medicines within the toxicological science. We have examined the field from synthesis of carcinogens to carcinogenesis testing using experimental animals collaborating with external agencies. Concurrently we have constructed, managed and maintained institute of radioisotope. It is widely known that lifestyle factors such as smoking, alcohol and diet are considered as major risk factors leading to human cancer. Most of environmental carcinogens are precarcinogens and they were activated or inactivated by phase I and phase II metabolic enzymes such as cytochrome P450 (CYP), and conjugation enzymes. As shown in the figure below, the destination of chemical-induced carcinogenesis are determined by modification of metabolic activation and inactivation. Therefore, our research main interest is “The role of metabolic activation in modifying carcinogenesis by life style” and how to examine the activities and expression of metabolic enzymes, mutagenic activation with tissue S9 and other related activities by modifying factors in foods and beverages.
- Modifying effects of foods, alcohols and smoking on chemical carcinogenesis and metabolic activation
- Exploration of animal species and organ-specific activation in environmental carcinogens
- Investigation into preventive effect of lipid nutrition on lifestyle disease
- Tatematsu K., Koide A., Morimitsu M., Fukushima S., Mori Y., The Enhancing effect of ethanol on the mutagenic activation of N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine by cytochrome P450 2A in the rat oesophagus, Mutagenesis, 28, 161-169 (2013).
- Tatematsu K., Koide A., Hirose M., Nishikawa A., Mori Y., Effect of cigarette smoke on mutagenic activation of environmental carcinogens by cytochrome P450 2A8 and inactivation by glucuronidation in hamster, Mutagenesis, 26, 323-330 (2011).
- Kuno T., Hirose Y., Yamada Y., Imaida K., Tatematsu K., Mori Y., Mori H., Chemoprevention of 1,2-dimethylhydrazine-induced colonic preneoplastic lesions in Fischer rats by 6-methylsulfinylhexyl isothiocyanate, a wasabi derivative, Oncology letters, 1, 273-278 (2010).
- Okuyama H., Ohara N., Tatematsu K., Fuma S., Nonogaki T., Yamada K., Ichikawa Y., Miyazawa D., Yasui Y., Honma. S., Testosterone-lowering activity of canola and hydrogenated soybean oil in the stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rat, J. Toxicol. Sci., 35, 743-747 (2010).