We are currently working on two major research topics: 1) Investigation of bioactive natural products and 2) Multi-component analysis using metabolomic techniques. Firstly, bioprospective botanization is encouraged in our laboratory to collect useful plant resources and provide bioactive natural products contributing to health maintenance and treatment of diseases. Thanks to many cooperators inside and outside the country, we are developing an individual repository of plants and their chemical constituents, and therein lies a novel anticancer quinoline–coumarin adduct formed through a [2+2] cycloaddition. Secondly, we are focused on cutting-edge metabolomic analyses to evaluate the synergistic effect of crude drugs. As NMR-metabolomics is credited with identifying unknown products, we employed the method to mine biological and/or chemical markers from crude drugs and Japanese Kampo medicines. In addition, our preliminary experiment using diffusion-ordered NMR spectroscopy (DOSY) achieved a significant success in identifying specific constituents from a plant extract without any separation procedures. Thus, NMR-metabolomics and DOSY are regarded as complementary methods to analyze multi-component system. Finally, our laboratory always welcomes foreign researchers and students majoring in natural products chemistry.
- Bioprospective Study for the Discovery of Ethnomedicines and Potential Drug Candidates
- Phytochemical Investigation of Higher Plants and Operation of Natural Product Repository
- Quality Control of Crude Drugs and Chemotaxonomy of Plants Using NMR- and MS-based Metabolomics
- Miura Y., Oyama M., Iguchi K., Ito T., Baba M., Shikama Y., Usui S., Hirano K., Iinuma M., Mikamo H., Antiandrogenic activity of icarisid II from Epimedium Herb in prostate cancer LNCaP cells, J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 61, 201-204 (2015).
- Arai Y., Endo S., Miyagi N., Abe N., Miura T., Nishinaka T., Matunaga T., Terada T., Oyama M., Goda H., El-Kabbani O., Hara A., Ikari A., Structure-activity relationship of flavonoids as potent inhibitors of carbonyl reductase 1 (CBR1), Fitoterapia, 101C, 51-56 (2015).
- Ohba T., Yoshino Y., Ishisaka M., Abe N., Tsuruma K., Shimazawa M., Oyama M., Tabira T., Hara H., Japanese Huperzia serrata extract and the constituent, huperzine A, ameliorate the scopolamine-induced cognitive impairment in mice, Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem., 79, 1838-1844 (2015).
- Shakui T., Iguchi K., Ito T., Baba M., Usui S., Oyama M., Tosa H., Iinuma M., Hirano K., Anti-androgenic activity of hydroxyxanthones in prostate cancer LNCaP cells, Fitoterapia, 92, 9-15 (2014).
- Sufka K.J., Loria M.J., Lewellyn K., Zjawiony J.K., Ali Z., Abe N., Khan I., The effect of Salvia divinorum and Mitragyna speciosa extracts, fraction and major constituents of place aversion and place preference in rats, J.Ethonopharmacol., 151, 361-364 (2014).