We have worked on the fundamentals and applications of chemical reactions, chemical structure and characteristics of various materials, such as polymer material, in the view of pharmaceutical science. The following research fields are our primary research focus.
- Surface modification of polymer material and its bio-application. We have been developing original materials for medical use by the surface modification of polymer. The durable surface wettability on the hydrophobic polymer surface, on which carboxylic groups were introduced, was fabricated by plasma treatment, and then other functional groups or polymer graft chains were introduced on its surface. The polymer surface fabricated by this way is used for the immobilization of enzyme or antibody maintaining their high activity, and it is also suitable for the cell culture.
- Development of stimuli-responsive polymer and its application to DDS. Stimuli-responsive polymers as a nanocarrier are specialized nano-sized active delivery vehicles that evolve with an external signal, such as heat, pH, light and so on, and are equipped with load-and-release modalities within their constituting units. We have been investigating the development of stimuli-responsive polymer and its application to DDS.
- Study on polymer conjugation for the effective application of biomolecules. We have developed an original methodology to fabricate protein-polymer conjugation for the effective use of biomolecules. Our methodology is proceeded to improve the thermal stability and preserve high activity of enzyme with methylvinylether-maleic acid copolymer and its derivatives.
- Fabrication of self-assembled phospholipid layer onto the polymer surface by plasma-assisted method and its bio-application
- Fundamentals of solid-state plasma chemistry and application to DDS by self-assembling of polymer
- Development of highly functionalized polymeric prodrugs
- Development of functional biomaterial surface based on plasma technique
- Study on polymer conjugation for the effective application of biomolecules
- Kondo S., Asano Y., Koizumi N., Tatematsu K., Sawama Y., Sasai Y., Yamauchi Y., Kuzuya M., Novel pH-Responsive Polymeric Micelles Prepared through Self-assembly of Amphiphilic Block Copolymer with Poly-4-vinylpyridine Block Synthesized by Mechanochemical Solid-State Polymerization, Chem. Pharm. Bull., 63, 489-494 (2015)
- Doi N., Sasai Y., Yamauchi Y., Adachi T., Kuzuya M., Kondo S., Development of Novel Polymeric Prodrugs Synthesized by Mechanochemical Solid-State Copolymerization of Hydroxyethylcellulose and Vinyl Monomers, Chem. Pharm. Bull., 63, 992-997 (2015).
- Kondo S., Sasai Y., Yamauchi Y., Kuzuya M., Immobilization of Au Nano Particles Using the Durable Hydrophilic Polymer Surface Fabricated by Plasma-Assisted Method, J. Photopolym. Sci. Technol., 28, 475-478 (2015).
- Kondo S., Omoto M., Sawama Y., Sasai Y., Tatematsu K., Yamauchi Y., Kuzuya M., Synthesis of Amphiphilic Blockcopolymer Using Mechanically Produced Macromonomers Possessing Anhydrate as a Terminal Group and Its Application to Polymeric Micelles, J. Phar. Nutrit. Sci., 4, 37-42 (2014).
- Sasai Y., Komatsu A., Kondo S., Yamauchi Y., Kuzuya M., Plasma Irradiation of Poly(acrylic acid) Brushes Fabricated on Polystyrene Substrate and its Characterization, J. Photopolym. Sci. Technol., 27, 369-372 (2014).