The research projects in our laboratory have been conducted in an effort to an extraordinary contribution in organic, medicinal, material, synthetic and process chemistries on the basis of the following keywords: safety, environmentally-friendly, cost-effectiveness, efficiency and pragmatic expansion. Concretely, we have been focused on“ development of novel functional catalysts” and“ development of novel synthetic methodologies using existing catalysts” and we have successfully developed 12 practical heterogeneous catalysts (see Fig), a number of C-C or C-N bond formations, hydrogenations, oxidations and so on. Indeed, catalytic deuterium labeling methods based on the C-H bond activation have yielded practical applications as labeled reagents and a contract manufacturing service, and launched a new range of research forces to the development of surrogate compounds and functional heavy drugs. Furthermore, we have just created new projects demanding cutting-edge future energy supplies based on original catalytic technologies. Recently, the development of Lewis acid-catalyzed novel molecular construction methods through the use of the cation intermediates and their application to the total synthesis have also been investigated.
- Development of novel, selective and heterogeneous transition metal catalysts and their application to synthetic and medicinal chemistries
- Development of novel deuteration methods and its application to synthetic and medicinal chemistries
- Development of environmentally-benign and process chemistry-applicable synthetic methodologies
- Novel construction methods for fundamental skeletons of organic molecules based on the carbocation generation and its application to the total synthesis study
- Novel redox reactions through the medium of water demanding the next-generation energy system
- Sawama Y., Asai S., Kawajiri T., Monguchi Y., Sajiki H., Biaryl Synthesis via Ring-Opening Friedel-Crafts Arylation of 1,4-Epoxy-1,4-dihydronaphthalenes Catalyzed by Iron Trichloride, Chem. Eur. J., 21, 2222-2229 (2015).
- Monguchi Y., Marumoto T., Takamatsu H., Sawama Y., Sajiki H., Palladium on Carbon-catalyzed One-Pot N-Arylindole Synthesis: Intramolecular Aromatic Amination, Aromatization, and Intermolecular Aromatic Amination, Adv. Synth. Catal., 356, 1866-1872 (2014); Highlighted in Synfacts, 10, 999 (2014).
- Sawama Y., Morita K., Yamada T., Nagata S., Yabe Y., Monguchi Y., Sajiki H., Rhodium on Carbon-Catalyzed Hydrogen Scavenger- and Oxidant-free Dehydrogenation of Alcohols in Aqueous Media, Green Chem., 16, 3439-3443 (2014); Highlighted in J. Synth. Org. Chem., Jpn., 72, 1175 (2014).
- Monguchi Y., Nozaki K., Maejima T., Shimoda T., Sawama Y., Kitamura Y., Kitade Y., Sajiki H., Solvent-free Huisgen Cyclization Using Heterogeneous Copper Catalysts Supported on Chelate Resin, Green Chem., 15, 490-495 (2013).
- Sawama Y., Shishido Y., Yanase T., Kawamoto K., Goto R., Monguchi Y., Kita Y., Sajiki H., Efficient Generation of ortho-Naphthoquinone Methides from 1,4-Epoxy-1,4-dihydronaphthalenes and Their Annulation with Allyl Silanes,Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 52, 1515-1519 (2013).