The purpose of our research is to develop new effective medicine for neurodegenerative diseases. They are amyotrophic lateral sclerosis disease (ALS), Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and Parkinson’s disease (PD). Our research is focused primarily on idiopathic basal ganglia calcification (IBGC) that is traditionally called as‘Fahr’s disease (FD)’. We have been investigating IBGC from genomic studies, functional studies using iPS cells and qualitative research data based on personal interviews. In addition, we have been working on neurodegenerative diseases from the viewpoints of metallothionein, zinc (Zn) metabolism, endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress and the activation of microglia. This research is supported by the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.
- The research of the pathophysiology, the accurate diagnostic methods and the therapeutic strategies on idiopathic basal ganglia calcification (IBGC) which is also traditionally called ‘Fahr’s disease (FD)’
- The innovative drug development for ALS using iPS cell and for stem cells
- The clarification of the pathophysiological mechanism and the development of new drugs for intractable neurodegenerative diseases such AD, PD and ALS based on the aspect of the neuronal death
- Kudo D., Inden M., Sekine S., Tamaoki N., Iida K., Naito E., Watanabe K., Kamishina H., Shibata T., Hozumi I., Conditioned medium of dental pulp cells stimulated by Chinese propolis show neuroprotection and neurite extension in vitro, Neurosci Lett., 589, 92-97 (2015).
- Kaneko M., Noguchi T., Ikegami S., Sakurai T., Kakita A., Toyoshima Y., Kambe T., Yamada M., Inden M., Hara H., Oyanagi K., Inuzuka T., Takahashi H., Hozumi I., Zinc transporters ZnT3 and ZnT6 are downregulated in the spinal cords of patients with sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, J. Neurosci. Res., 93, 370-379 (2015).
- Yamada M., Tanaka M., Takagi M., Kobayashi S., Taguchi Y., Takashima S., Tanaka K., Touge T., Hatsuta H., Murayama S., Hayashi Y., Kaneko M., Ishiura H., Mitsui J., Atsuta N., Sobue G., Shimozawa N., Inuzuka T., Tsuji S., Hozumi I., Evaluation of SLC20A2 mutations that cause idiopathic basal ganglia calcification in Japan, Neurology, 82, 705-712 (2014).
- Inden M., Iriyama M., Takagi M., Kaneko M., Hozumi I., Localization of type-III sodium-dependent phosphate transporter 2 in the mouse brain, Brain. Res., 1531, 75-83 (2013).
- Hozumi I., Roles and Therapeutic Potential of Metallothioneins in Neurodegenerative Diseases, Curr. Pharm. Biotechnol., 14, 408-413 (2013).